Personal experience and social science research have shown that people are the sum of their genes, their cumulative experiences and the circumstances in which they live their lives. We believe, therefore, that successful coaching has to be based on an understanding of all these factors and not just focus on superficial behaviours. For us, then, effective, authentic coaching is based on the following five principles:
- A shared feeling of trust and empathy between client and coach
- A relationship of equality between client and coach
- A desire on the client’s part to focus on the future, while acknowledging the effects of the past
- A willingness by the client to work through challenging issues towards empowerment, self-confidence and a happier, more productive life, and;
- A belief in people’s ability to accept themselves and yet make changes that will improve their lives.
- Life coaching can be open-ended where no fixed date is set for ending or can be brief/time-limited where we agree together to a fixed number of sessions – usually 6 to 12
- Life coaching services are delivered at a reasonable cost.